Pageviews last month

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Fat Geese...Arts of Giving...Blind Boys of Alabama. Treats are in the air.

Hub and I decided last weekend that we should co-author (with a good psychologist) a book called The Christmas Problem, since we're at the mucky crossroads of 3rd marriages/different religious backgrounds/long distance families/blended families...and it only seems to get easier if we get looser about it. We have the "have to" lists and the "optionals" and try to make sure there are at least a few mandatory optionals for spice. We'll see at least one of the kids...go out of town at least once...hear one or two concerts...spoil the grandkids, but only the ones who are old enough to remember...Entertain once. Ask what the grown kids want, but give what we like.

This year, I've no time to make things...and I also want to support local artisans whenever I can. BUT...geez, like eating local, it gets pricey. I go to a show, stop to talk to someone I know (or would like to know), and I suddenly feel obliged to buy a handmade this and a handcrafted that. Before I know it, Toys R Us starts almost looking good (financially, anyway.) The Fat Goose Craft fair was very homemade and simple, with the younger organic crowd well represented (and appreciated). I love Vincent Perez's cards...Annie Clifford's little books...most of all Dorothy Young's handwoven scarfs and outrageous dolls.

Still, I hope that less is more - one of a lovely handcrafted something might have to do for two people. Or make up for a birthday skimped on... This being said, there are several gift shows coming up with quality local artisans. The Potters Guild Show starts tomorrow at the Tett, Made 4 You has good stuff for the younger set (and some of these people will also be at NGB studios the weekend of Dec. 13), Sandra Whitton's show (stuff under $250) is absolutely gorgeous and the Gift Giving Show at Fort Henry on the first weekend in December will also be a reason to tie my hands behind my back. I'll tell you how stuff compares after I spend some time (my first time) at the One of A Kind SHow in Toronto this weekend. And Oh Boy Oh Boy Santa's bringing the Blind Boys of Alabama next week, Dec. 1 to the Grand! Ecstasy!

No comments:

Post a Comment