Pageviews last month

Monday, October 12, 2009

Toronto Toronto

God I love going to Toronto. Seeing even one play and one art gallery show is like getting wrapped up in a big, wonderfully colourful shawl - it's something that can keep me warm for days or even weeks. And then there's the Theatre of Being A Mother to a 29 Year Old Daughter.... something that also stays with me for days. Hmm. The art of motherhood is also an evolving art form. I think we're still knitting that one... and I still drop more stitches than I care to admit.

After a dash through Kensington Market with said daughter (such a tonic!) we went to the A.G.O. to see the Steichen photography and the Calder exhibit. NOW I remember how we all wanted to be when we were young: lithe and seductive like those timeless photos of Garbo and Dietrich... But since we weren't, the Calder exhibit was a lot more fun. His circus - and the film of his executing it - were total testaments to that extraordinary combination of skill and whimsy. Feet tired, I curled up in the bookstore with the book about the 50th Anniversary of the Cape Dorset prints, since they've just opened at Cornerstone (on Ontario Street) in Kingston. Will look at them completely differently now.

In the evening, we took off for CanStage's production of Tom Stoppard's Rock and Roll. This was the creme de la creme of Thinking Person's Theatre...and taught me (embarrassingly) so much about history (and rock and roll, too.) Fiona Reid is wonderful...Stunning set.

Kingston is calm and lovely and "there's just enough of everything" --but it's also closecloseclose to Toronto, and that's a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment